The Capitol, North O Street and South Washington Railway
was a street railway company in Washington, D.C. from 1875 to 1898. It was the sixth and final company to start during the horse car era. It operated on a loop, or "belt", around downtown and the National Mall. For that reason, and because of its long name, it was known colloquially as the Belt Railway. It changed its name to the Belt Railway in 1893. It expanded north and south on 11th street west to the boundaries of the city. In 1896 it attempted to use compressed air motors instead of electricity, a decision that sent them into receivership. In 1898, the company was purchased by the Anacostia and Potomac River Railroad
and the company ceased to exist.
The Capitol, North O Street and South Washington Railway Company was the last streetcar company to begin operations during Washington's horsecar era. It was incorporated on March 3, 1875 and began operation later that year. Its circular route went from the Capitol along 1st Street SW; south of the Mall
on Maryland and Virginia Avenues
SW; north on 12th Street SW/NW, the old Ohio Avenue NW (now obliterated by Federal Triangle
) and 14th Street NW to O Street NW; east on O Street NW for ten blocks; and then south on 4th Street NW, G Street NW and 1st Street NW.
Expansion and Name Change
The Capitol, North O Street... Read More