The Captain Cook Bridge
is one of three major road crossings of the Georges River
, Australia. It crosses at the mouth of the river into Botany Bay
The other two crossings over the Georges River are Tom Uglys Bridge
, which opened in 1929 and Alfords Point Bridge
, which opened in 1973. Tom Uglys Bridge connects Blakehurst
. Alfords Point Bridge connects Alfords Point
to Padstow Heights
A ferry service ran between Sans Souci and Taren Point from 1911. From April 1916 a vehicular punt ran between the two points, and continued to do so even after the opening of the Tom Uglys Bridge in 1929.
The Captain Cook Bridge was opened in 1965 and is named after Captain James Cook
who landed at nearby Kurnell
on 29 April 1770, when navigating his way around Australia on his ship, the Endeavour
The Captain Cook Bridge carries three lanes of traffic in either direction and links Rocky Point Road at Sans Souci
in the St George
area to Taren Point Road
at Taren Point
in the Sutherland Shire
. There are also two walkways for pedestrians an cyclists along either side of the bridge. Loop walkways run under the bridge at Sans Souci and Taren Point and provide access along the foreshore.
The Captain Cook Bridge is the only section of the planned F6 Freeway that has been built inside the Sydney metropolitan area. The speed limit across the bridge and associated road sections is 80 km/h.