Until recent years there was a Carrington Power Station located on the south bank of the Manchester Ship Canal. The building work commenced in 1947, although the land for the site was acquired in 1916. The station opened in 1956, and was decommissioned during the late 1980s. It was demolished using explosives in the mid-1990s, having stood empty for several years. All that remains today is a large 400kV switching station. The station had its own railway spur from the Glazebrook to Stockport Tiviot Dale line, evidence of which can still be seen today from the gates where the line crossed Manchester Road.
In July 2007, Bridestones Developments acquired planning permission for a new CCGT (Combined Cycle Gas Turbine) power station, to be built on the same site as the old power station, providing sufficient electrical power for up to 350,000 homes, and 40 to 50 new jobs in the area. This was announced in a local newspaper.