Carson Pirie Scott & Co.
, known informally as Carson's
, is an upscale chain of department stores
that have been in business for over 150 years. Their product price points are targeted to the moderate-to-upscale shopper. The majority of the stores are located in the Chicago metropolitan area
, with over 30 stores under the nameplate.
The Carson Pirie Scott name is strongly associated with the historic Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company Building
designed by Louis Sullivan
, built in 1899 for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer, and expanded and sold to Carson Pirie Scott in 1904. The building, located on State Street
, housed the chain's flagship store for more than a century before closing for good on February 21, 2007.
The chain began in 1854 when Samuel Carson opened a dry goods store in Amboy, Illinois
, after he left Ireland
. In 1871, the Great Chicago Fire
destroyed 60% of the store's stock. In 1961, Carson Pirie Scott & Co. greatly expanded in Illinois
by purchasing the 20 unit Block & Kuhl
chain headquartered in Peoria, Illinois
In 1980, to diversify its business, Carson Pirie Scott & Co. borrowed $108 million to buy Dobbs Houses, Inc., an airline caterer and owner of the Toddle House
and Steak 'n Egg Kitchen
restaurant chains. These were sold in 1988.
In 1989, Carson Pirie Scott & Co. was acquired by P.A. Bergner & Co. (founded in Peoria, Illinois
), who operated the Bergner's
, Charles V. Weise, Myers... Read More