is an isolated pink granite monolith
standing in the heart of the north Queensland
city of Townsville
. It rises to a height of some 286 metres above sea
level and dominates the city skyline
. It is one of the most distinctive natural features on the Queensland coast. There are a number of vantage points from which to view the city below and also across Cleveland Bay to nearby Magnetic Island
Geography and Features
The hill is an inselberg
origins, rising abruptly from the younger Quaternary
coastal plain. The surface is primarily bare rock or shallow lithsols
with small areas of duplex soils. There are three peaks to the summit. There is a former quarry site on the southern slopes, accessed via Stagpole Street, and on the northern cliff face a large graffiti on 'The Saint' is painted.
The bitumen "Castle Hill Road" winds for 2.6 kilometres from the northeast slopes to the summit of the second peak, on which the Hynes Lookout platform has been erected. In 1942 the memorial stone from the Sydney grave of Robert Towns
, founder of Townsville, was acquired by the Townsville City Council and erected at the summit.
There are several buildings and installations on the hill. On the southern face is a two-storeyed octagonal building of concrete block work, which formerly housed the Panorama Restaurant,... Read More