Students are required to perform 10 hours of community service per semester, and the service is intended to be connected to one of the Catholic Works of Mercy.
CCHS began as St. Mary High School, built by Holy Trinity Parish around 1886. Trinity High School opened on September 3, 1928 and became Central Catholic High School when it was taken over by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peoria in 1968. The school was later moved to Airport Road, beginning classes on August 25, 2003.
The Central Saints won the class 4A state football championship in 2008, meaning the school has now won state football championships in 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A, becoming the first school in Illinois state history to win titles in four different classes.