The Central Fire Station
: 中央消防局) is the oldest existing fire station
, and is located at Hill Street
in the Museum Planning Area
, within the Central Area
, Singapore's central business district
The idea for a professional Fire Brigade
was conceived after a fire
in Kling Street destroyed S$
13,000 worth of property on 7 November 1855. It was 14 years before a volunteer fire service was started and a further 36 years before Singapore's first proper fire station — Central Fire Station — was built.
In 1905, planning for Central Fire Station began under the supervision of the Fire Brigade superintendent, Montague Pett
. The station was completed in 1908. Built at a cost of S$64,000, it included a watch tower
and living quarters for firemen.
Central Fire Station had four portable water pumps
. Nonetheless, even this basic setting was a huge improvement over what existed before. Superintendent Pett fought for improved working conditions and initiated fire safety
measures in public buildings. Standards of operations rose to a professional level and the degree of fire-related damage fell significantly.
The handing over of the fire service to Pett and the setting up of Central Fire Station was a welcome and much needed change. From that time, the Fire Brigade has consistently grown and improved. It became so invaluable that during the Japanese Occupation
, the Japanese retained British firemen
in their jobs, who were thus spared... Read More