The Chamberlain Memorial
was erected in Chamberlain Square
on October 20, 1880, to commemorate the public service of Joseph Chamberlain
, who was present at the inauguration ceremony. Joseph Chamberlain was a Birmingham businessmen, councillor, mayor and Member of Parliament
. He died in 1914.
For the creation of the monument, £3,000 of public funds were raised. The monument was designed by John Henry Chamberlain
(no relation), a personal friend and municipal architect. The design is tall and of neo-gothic
style, reminiscent of the Albert Memorial
. It bears a portrait medallion of Chamberlain by Thomas Woolner
on the south side. The carvings of the capitals and the crocketted spire were done by S. Barfield of Leicester
, John Henry Chamberlain's favourite sculptor. Salviati Burke and Co.
were commissioned to do the mosaics after their success with the Birmingham Council HousePublic Sculpture of Birmingham: Including Sutton Coldfield
, George Thomas Noszlopy, 1998, Liverpool University Press (ISBN 0853236925). It is Grade II listed
The plaque on the monument reads:
- This memorial is erected in gratitude for public service given to this town by Joseph Chamberlain who was elected Town Councillor in November 1869, Mayor in November 1873, and resigned that office in June 1876 on being returned as one of the representatives of the Borough of Birmingham in Parliament.......