Charing Cross (Glasgow)
is a railway station
close to the centre of Glasgow
, serving the district of the same name. It is managed by First ScotRail
and is served by trains on the North Clyde Line
. It should not be confused with the Charing Cross
Station in London.
Dating from 1886, it was originally part of the Glasgow City and District Railway
, the first underground railway in Scotland. Nearby points of interest include Sauchiehall Street
and the Mitchell Library
, and some of Glasgow's larger office compounds, making this station popular with commuters. The station contains a staffed ticket office and a small branch of WH Smith
Automatic ticket gates have now been installed and came into operation on 3 June 2011.
There are regular services towards Glasgow Queen Street
, and eastbound and Partick
and beyond westbound.
The line is electrified and services are primarily provided by Class 320
electric multiple units, as well as a small number of newer Class 334 "Juniper"
electric multiple units. All services are provided by First ScotRail
, formerly under contract to Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
<gallery>Image:Glasgow Charing Cross station exterior.JPG|Outside Charing Cross (Glasgow) stationImage:Glasgow Charing Cross station plaque.JPG|Plaque detailing a brief history of the station, next to the ticket office</gallery>