() is a district
in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
province of Pakistan
that contains the town of Charsadda
. The town was part of the Peshawar
ex-metropolitan region. Pashtuns make up majority of the population of the district.
Charsadda was once part of the kingdom of Gandhara
, however around 516 BC Gandhara became part of the seventh satrapy
or province of the Achaemenid Empire
and paid tribute to Darius the Great of Persia
, until its overthrow by Alexander the Great
in the 4th century BC.
After the death of Alexander in 323 BC the Indian Emperor Chandragupta Maurya
rose to power and brought Gandhara under his sway. According to a popular tradition, Emperor Ashoka
built one of his stupas there. This stupa was mentioned by the famous Chinese Buddhist pilgrim Hieun Tsang
, who visited in 630, according to him Po-Lu-Sha (as he called the stupa) was in circumference.
A Brahminical temple to the east and a monastery to the north which according to Buddhist legends was the place where Buddha preached the Law. The name Gandhara disappeared after Mahmud of Ghazni
conquered the area and converted it to Islam in 1026.
This area was also ruled by the Bactrian Greeks
between 250–125 BC which was succeeded by the Indo-Greek Kingdom
who ruled until 10 AD.
Shabqadr is a small town in Charsadda tehsil north west of Peshawar. Here is a fort built by the Sikhs called Sharkargarh. The town was burnt by Mohmands
in 1897 It has since been... Read More