is a small market town
, with a population of 12,158 according to the 2001 census. It is roughly from the city of Stoke-on-Trent, north of Birmingham
and south of Manchester
. It is also around from the Alton Towers
Cheadle is an historic market town dating back to Anglo-Saxon times, being referred to in the Domesday Book
. It was (and still is, but not for administrative purposes) in the historic Staffordshire Hundred
of Totmonslow; nowadays it is part of the Staffordshire Moorlands
Cheadle appears in the Domesday Book as "Celle" held by the lord of the manor, Robert of Stafford, at the time the area covered 6 miles by 3 miles and listed 9 families. In 1176 the Basset family acquired the manor of "Chedle" and in 1250 Ralph Basset was granted a market charter and annual fair by King Henry III
In 1309, 75 families are recorded as using a corn-grinding mill sited near Mill Road. Fifty years later, a new church was built in the village replacing a 12th-century structure and this church remained in use until 1837.
In 1606 a school was founded by the church, and in 1685 the then curate of the parish, Rev, Henry Stubbs, left an endowment to found a grammar school in Cheadle. The school was built at Monkhouse and was active until 1917. The endowment continues to this day.
By 1676 Cheadle’s population is recorded as just over one thousand, and a hundred years... Read More