The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire House
is home to the Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department in the Cherrydale
neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia
. Constructed in 1919, it has been a focal point for community attention and affection ever since. The building also served as Arlington County Fire Station #3
until a new station opened nearby in July 2011.
The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1898 by a group of twelve men. It is the oldest volunteer fire department in Arlington County
. Since its beginnings, the Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department has remained active in the community, serving in many ways - from fighting fires and saving lives to sponsoring Christmas
parties, dances, parades, youth sports activities, and Bingo
games. During the first few years after the CVFD was organized, the equipment (consisting of leather buckets, bells, and ladders) stayed out in the open. By 1906, a small shed (later referred to as "House #2") on what is now Taylor Street was erected to house the County's first mechanized equipment - a hand-drawn water and hose cart.
"Engine House #1," another small shed with a hose tower atop, was completed on the grounds of the old Cherrydale School in December 1912. It housed the first real fire engine in Arlington
, a 60 gallon pumper engine which was purchased by the Cherrydale Volunteers in 1913. In 1914, "Engine House #3" was erected in the Maywood area. "Engine House... Read More