Chesterfield St Helena School, also known as Chesterfield Girls' Grammar School and St Helena School, Chesterfield, was an all girls high school in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, teaching 11 to 18 year old girls between 1892 and its closure in 1991. The building now serves as an Area Education Office for Derbyshire County Council.
The Early Days
In 1882 education for girls was still considered to be of minimal importance. Fortunately for the young female residents of Chesterfield a group of influential businessmen, satisfied with the arrangements for the education of their sons, decided they wanted to improve the opportunities for their daughters. As a result of this, a school was set up in the Congregational Schoolroom under the supervision of Miss Walton. The school seems to have thrived for a report of a Harvest Festival held in October 1889 states that it was held in the presence of about a hundred parents and friends. The schoolroom was appropriately decorated for the occasion and an interesting programme of vocal and instrumental music and recitations was performed. Prizes were presented by the Mayor, Mr. B. Douglas Esq. The Mayor proposed the vote of thanks to Miss Walton and this was seconded by Mr. Voules, Headmaster of the Grammar School.
The school continued to minister to the educational needs of the young ladies of the town until 1892 when the following advertisement appeared Derbyshire Times in August, 1892:-