Chapra grew in importance as a river mart in the 18th century when the Dutch, French, Portuguese, and English established saltpeter refineries there. It was constituted a municipality in 1864. The town has major rail and road connections with the rest of India.
Various hypothesis have been put forward about the origin of the name Saran (Chhapra). General Cunningham suggested that Saran was earlier known as SARAN or asylum which was a name given to a stupa (Pillar) built by Emperor Ashoka. Another view holds that the name SARAN has been derived from SARANGA- ARANYA or the deer forest, the district being famous for its wide expanses of forest and deer in prehistoric times.
The earliest authentic historical record concerning this district may perhaps be related to 898 AD which suggest that the village of Dighwara dubauli in Saran had supplied a copper plate issued in the reign of king Mahendra paldeva. Maharshi Dadhichi belongs to Saran who had donated his bone to Gods for manufacturing of arms.... Read More