The depot is a rectangular, single-story, wood-frame building. It was built to serve the local community by shipping agricultural products. A small rail yard served the potato packing houses. In 1919, after the railroad electrified, an electric substation and operators' houses were built adjacent to the depot. In 1974, the substation was razed, and the operators' houses were sold to private individuals. After the railroad abandoned the Pacific Extension, the depot was taken over by the State of Washington and now is part of the Iron Horse State Park, a rails-to-trails initiative.
The depot was listed in the National Register because of its association with the Milwaukee Road and the development of railroads in Washington.
Bruce, Robin. Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific RR, Kittitas Depot (Kittitas County, Washington) National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Washington, DC: US Department of the Interior, National Park Service, 1992. On file at the National Register of Historic Places, Washington, DC; and at the State of Washington Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Olympia, Washington.
Holstein, Craig, Robin Bruce, and Charles Mutschler. . National......