CHIJ Katong Convent
: CHIJ - KC
) is an autonomous all-girls Catholic secondary school
. The school is one of 11 Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus
(CHIJ) schools in Singapore. Katong Convent is known for its niche area, speech and drama. The school has produced alumni who are working in the entertainment industry, as well as in diplomatic positions.
In the 1920s, the Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus acquired one of the private bungalows on the eastern coast of Singapore as a weekend holiday bungalow for the nuns and boarders of the convent.
In 1930, these rambling buildings were used as a private school and in 1932 the school was given a grant-in-aid status. The first set of students registered in January 1932 was mixed - 171 girls and 26 boys. Upon the completion of St Patrick's School
in late 1932, these boys were transferred there. Katong Convent was no larger than a village school, consisting of four classes and a total enrolment of 197 students. Sister St Theodora was the first principal with a staff of only four teachers.
Under Sister St Vincent de Paul, the school building was extended in 1939 with eight new classrooms. In 1941, just before the outbreak of the war, there were 384 pupils - 60 in the secondary classes, 206 in the elementary and 118 in the primary. There were four nuns including the principal, and eight local teachers.
When the dark clouds of war were gathering in the East in 1941, the staff and... Read More