is a village
in the borough of Swindon
The village lies on the edge of the Marlborough Downs
, a mile south of junction 15 of the M4 motorway
, on the A346
between Swindon and Marlborough
. The hamlets of Draycot Foliat
and Liddington are nearby, and the village of Wroughton
is around two miles to the west.
The village houses a school - Chiseldon Primary School which currently has some 158 pupils enrolled, most of them from the village itself. The Holy Cross Church is also located in Chiseldon. The Church, was built in the thirteenth century along with other local churches in Ogbourne St. George
and Ogbourne St. Andrew
. The village has a surgery, as well as two Hotels, an ESSO
Petrol Station, two shops (one housing a Post office
) and various other businesses. The engineering consultancy firm Halcrow Group Limited
operates from Burderop Park, located in the parish.
There are two pubs in the village, The Patriots Arms and the Plough Inn. There is also the Social Club. The Elm Tree Pub has now closed down; this was originally a thatched beer house and was constructed in 1845 . The pub was named after the elm tree
which was located on the village green until the 1970s.
Chiseldon telephone exchange serves 1048 residential and 39 non-residential properties.
Settlements in the area date back to prehistoric and Roman times, but Chiseldon itself was started by the Saxons. The village was included in the Domesday Book
and was... Read More