Christ Church Cathedral, Cincinnati
is the cathedral church of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Ohio
, United States
Christ Church was founded in 1817 by William Henry Harrison
, ninth President of the United States, Dr. Daniel Drake
and other early settlers of Cincinnati
. In 1820, the church was formally incorporated in the State of Ohio
; the first building was on East Sixth Street.
In 1835, the church moved to its present location at 318 East Fourth Street.
-style Parish House was built in 1907, which today provides office space, rooms for classes and meetings, a gymnasium, the cathedral library and the cathedral shop.
The Centennial Chapel
, located north of the present cathedral, was erected in 1917 to commemorate the church's centennial anniversary, and provides a setting for smaller worship services and concerts as well as a still space for individual prayer and meditation. It may have been designed by prominent Cincinnati architect Frederick W. Garber
The 1835 building, deemed unsafe, was replaced in 1957 with the current building, designed in a bold modern style by David Briggs Maxwell
. Although it incorporates features such as the stained glass windows from the original church erected in 1835, the building is in stark contrast to the older buildings in the cathedral complex. It was extensively remodeled in the 1980s and then again in the 1990s.
On Palm Sunday
1993, Christ Church was consecrated the cathedral
of the Episcopal Diocese of... Read More