Christ Church Cathedral
is the cathedral
of the diocese of Oxford
, which consists of the counties of Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. It is also, uniquely, the chapel
of Christ Church
, a college of the University of Oxford
The cathedral was originally the church of St Frideswide's Priory
. The site is claimed to be the location of the abbey and relics of St Frideswide
, the patron saint of Oxford, although this is debatable.
In 1522, the priory was surrendered to Cardinal Wolsey
, who had selected it as the site for his proposed college. However, in 1529 the foundation was taken over by King Henry VIII
. Work stopped, but in June 1532 the college was refounded by the King. In 1546, Henry VIII transferred to it from Osney
to the see of Oxford. The cathedral has the name of Ecclesia Christi Cathedralis Oxoniensis
, given to it by King Henry VIII's foundation charter.
There has been a choir at the cathedral since 1526
, when John Taverner
was the organist and also master of the choristers. The statutes of Cardinal Wolsey
's original college, initially called Cardinal College
, mentioned sixteen choristers and thirty singing priests.
Christ Church Cathedral is often claimed to be the smallest cathedral in England
, and although it did once hold this distinction there are now smaller cathedrals, as several parish churches were elevated to cathedral status in the 20th century., Archive.org
The nave, choir, main tower and transepts are of the... Read More