Christ Church Cathedral
in Victoria, British Columbia
is the cathedral church of the Diocese of British Columbia
of the Anglican Church of Canada
The first Christ Church (1856–1869)
The Hudson's Bay Company
hired Robert John Staines, graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge,to teach the children of Fort Victoria
,and offered him a further stipend to take Holy Orders
and serve as chaplain to the fort as well.He arrived at the fort with his wife Emma and servants in 1849,none too impressed with the rustic conditions at this remote trading post.For their part, the small fort community became increasingly dissatisfiedwith his teaching skills and manner, such that he was discharged in 1854.He in turn set off for London to grieve the Company's land policiesat the Colonial Office on behalf of fellow settlers.
Staines had begun construction of a church building in 1853,and had held Anglican services in the messroom of Fort Victoriaand aboard visiting ships pending its completion.The Company appointed Edward Cridge
, a college friend of Staines, as his replacement.Cridge and his new wife Mary arrived via Cape Horn
from England on April 1, 1855.The population of Victoria was then about 200.The company church was finally ready for use on August 31, 1856 andwas initially known as the Victoria District Church, and later as Christ Church.
Beginning in 1858, Victoria was overrun with gold seekers on their way to the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush
. Hundreds of makeshift... Read More