The Church of Christ (Whitmerite)
was a denomination of the Latter Day Saint movement
based on the claims of David Whitmer
, one of the Three Witnesses
to the Book of Mormon's Golden Plates
There were actually two separate organizations of this church. In 1847, William E. M'Lellin
who led a congregation of Latter Day Saints
in Kirtland, Ohio
, remembered that Joseph Smith, Jr.
, the movement's deceased founder, had designated David Whitmer as his successor. M'Lellin encouraged Whitmer to come forward and lead his church. Whitmer agreed and gathered others to his cause, including fellow Book of Mormon witnesses Oliver Cowdery
, Martin Harris
, Hiram Page
and John Whitmer
Taking the original name of the church, the "Church of Christ" published a periodical from Kirtland called, The Ensign of Liberty.
Whitmer, however, never joined the main body of his followers in Kirtland and the church dissolved.
However, by 1870s David Whitmer was active again and had reorganized his Church of Christ. In 1887 he published his which promoted his church and affirmed his testimony of the Book of Mormon.
Whitmer died in 1888, but the Whitmerite church continued on. The church published a periodical called The Return
beginning in 1889, which became known as The Messenger of Truth
in 1900. The church published its own edition of the Book of Mormon under the name, The Nephite Record
and published a new edition of the Book of Commandments.
By 1925, most remaining members of the... Read More