The "Type K", number 801
was a diesel locomotive
which was allocated to Córas Iompair Éireann
(CIÉ) following the disbanding of the Great Northern Railway
Board (GNRB) in 1958.
The single locomotive of this class was acquired by the GNRB in December 1954
and became their number 800.
It was built by German builders Maschinenbau Kiel
(MaK), who built over one hundred of these Type 800 D
locomotives between 1953
. It was delivered free of charge for trials and unloaded at North Wall, Dublin on December 14, 1954. The locomotive closely followed German practice being fitted with an MaK diesel engine
, feeding power to the rails through a Voith
torque converter. The locomotive shared many similarities with the less powerful Deutsche Bundesbahn
class V65, it had a "D" (8-coupled) wheel arrangement and was controlled from an off-centre cab.
The locomotive underwent trials on both goods and passenger trains over various parts of the GNRB system and on some of the Ulster Transport Authority
's former Northern Counties Committee
lines. Following the trials, it was purchased by the GNRB for the sum of £29,500.
Following the dissolution of the Board in 1958 it was allocated to CIÉ and renumbered K801. Trials between Dublin and Kildare and on Dublin–Bray passenger trains followed before K801 was transferred to Cork, where it worked mainly on the Cobh and Youghal lines.<ref... Read More