is a hamlet
in the counties of Carmarthenshire
. It is situated in the hill country to the south of the Teifi valley
. The Afon Cych
divides it into two unequal parts: West Cilrhedyn, Pembrokeshire and East Cilrhedyn, Carmarthenshire. The parish church
is in West Cilrhedyn.
, meaning "bracken nook"Charles, B. G., The Placenames of Pembrokeshire
, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1992, ISBN 0-907158-58-7, p 363. The area remains a bastion of the Welsh language.
The parish of West Cilrhedyn
(Pembrokeshire) is now part of the community
. It had an area of 887 Ha
, and consisted entirely of scattered farms. Its census
populations were: 215 (1801): 257 (1851): 190 (1901): 127 (1951): 105 (1981). The percentage Welsh speakers was 100 (1891); 97 (1931); 94 (1971).
The parish of East Cilrhedyn
(Carmarthenshire) was merged with the parish of Cenarth
in 1934, and it is now part of the community of Cenarth
. It had an area of 2238 Ha, and included the villages of Capel Iwan and Cwmorgan . Its census populations were: 517 (1801): 806 (1851): 691 (1901): 570 (1931). The percentage Welsh speakers was 100 (1891); 99 (1931).