The school was founded in 1966, and combined the Secondary Modern with the Grammar School. It is situated at the top of Tetbury Hill, an area which previously was the site of a World War II American Army Hospital, in Cirencester Park. There are about 1100 pupils currently on roll at the school. In 2010, the school achieved an "Outstanding" OFSTED report.
In 1991 the sixth form was separated into an independent college, Cirencester College which now shares the same campus as the school. New buildings were built to replace those it had lost to the college.