The City Council of Singapore
, or the Municipal Council
before 1951, was the administrative council of Singapore
responsible for the provision of water, electricity, gas, roads and bridges and street lighting. It was abolished upon Singapore's secession from Malaysia in 1965 . An election was held in 1957
, with a byelection in 1958
It signed the water trade agreement with the Johore State Government
in 1961 and 1962.
As a British colony, Singapore was conferred city status by a royal charter from King George VI
in 1951, when Singapore
was then a crown colony
of the United Kingdom
. The original Municipal Council was therefore renamed City Council, and the Municipal Building was renamed City Hall
. In 1965, upon Singapore's secession from Malaysia
, the Republic of Singapore Independence Act 1965 provided the following clausethat empowered the President to abolish the City Council and the Rural Board, with the powers of the local authorities assumed by the Government. The City Council of the City of Singapore and the Singapore Rural Board
were abolished in 1965.
<!-- Instructions for adding a footnote: please refer to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cite/Cite.php -->