A city wiki
is a wiki
used as a knowledge base
and social network
for a specific geographical
locale. The term 'city wiki' or its foreign language equivalent (e.g. German 'Stadtwiki') is sometimes also used for wikis that cover not just a city
, but a small town
or an entire region
. A city wiki contains information about specific instances of things, ideas, people and places. Much of this information might not be appropriate for Wikipedia (e.g., articles on every retail outlet in a town), but might be appropriate for a wiki with more localized content and viewers. A city wiki could also contain information about the following subjects, that may or may not be appropriate for a general knowledge wiki, such as:
- Details of public establishments such as public houses, bars, accommodation or social centers.
- Owner name, opening hours and statistics for a specific shop.
- Statistical information about a specific road in a city.
- Flavors of ice cream served at a local ice cream parlor.
- A biography of a local mayor and other persons
The Open Guide to London is probably the oldest of the city wikis. It is part of a sub group of city wikis that use the OpenGuides software, and most have the openguides.org domain in their URL. Most of them are for cities in England
. Although , formerly Cityunlimited was founded in February 2007.The Stadtwiki Karlsruhe
is the largest city wiki.
Largest city wikis
The table below, adapted from a more detailed table on the ,... Read More