is a town and comune
of the province of Rome
in the central Italian
region of Lazio
. A sea port
on the Tyrrhenian Sea
, it is located 80 kilometers west-north-west of Rome
, across the Mignone
river. The harbor is formed by two piers and a breakwater, on which is a lighthouse.
Civitavecchia means "ancient town".
The modern city was built over a pre-existing Etruscan
The harbor was constructed by the Emperor Trajan
at the beginning of the 2nd century. The first occurrence of the name Centum Cellae
is from a letter by Pliny the Younger
(AD 107). The origin of the name is disputed: it has been suggested that it could refer to the centum
("hundred") halls of the villa of the emperor.
In the high Middle Ages
was a Byzantine stronghold. Captured by the Saracens
in 828, it was later acquired by the Papal States
The place became a free port
under Pope Innocent XII
in 1696 and by the modern era was the main port of Rome. The French occupied it in 1849. On April 16, 1859 the Rome and Civitavecchia Rail Road
was opened for service.The Papal troops opened the gates of the fortress to the Italian general Nino Bixio
During World War II
bombings severely damaged Civitavecchia, and caused civilian casualties.
Civitavecchia is today a major cruise and ferry port, the main starting point for sea connection from central Italy
has a secondary... Read More