The Golf Champion Trophy
, commonly known as the Claret Jug
, is the trophy presented to the winner of The Open Championship
, (often called the "British Open"), one of the four major championships
The awarding of the Claret Jug
dates from 1872, when a new trophy was needed after Young Tom Morris
had won the original Championship Belt outright in 1870 by winning the Championship three years in a row. The silver claret jug
is inscribed 'The Golf Champion Trophy', and was made by Mackay Cunningham & Company of Edinburgh
at a cost of £30.
However as the 1872 event was organised at the last minute, the trophy wasn't ready in time to be presented to Morris (who had won his fourth in a row). His name was the first to be engraved on it, however. In 1873 Tom Kidd
became the first winner to be actually presented with the Claret Jug after winning the Championship.
The original Claret Jug has been on permanent display at the clubhouse of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews
since 1928. The original Championship Belt is also on display at the same site, having been donated in 1908 by the Morris family.
The current Claret Jug was first awarded to Walter Hagen
for winning the 1928 Open. The winner must return the trophy before the next year's Open, and receives a replica to keep permanently. Three other replicas exist—one in the British Museum of Golf at St Andrews, and two used for travelling exhibitions.
Every year, the winner's name is engraved on the Claret... Read More