is a suburb of Edinburgh
, to the north of Clerwood
and west of Corstorphine Hill
Clermiston estate, built in 1954, was part of a major 1950s house-building programme to tackle overcrowding in Leith
. Now the area is home to more than 20,000 people.
The district, known 400 years ago as Glabertoun, became Clermiston in 1730, when a narrow track linked the village of Corstorphine
to a small hamlet at Mutton Hole.
Used as a hunting ground by the wealthy, the Clermiston Estate was owned by the Buttercup Dairy Company until the 1950s, when Edinburgh Corporation bought it for local authority housing.
Some residents had been on the corporation’s housing register for more than seven years before they were offered their Clermiston house.
Part of the land not used by the corporation was sold off to Wimpey Homes
who built the Clerwood housing estate there in 1963; the rest was used for the construction of Queen Margaret College later Queen Margaret University
which was finally demolished in July 2009 after the University moved to its new campus in Musselburgh
The Clermiston area is served by a local primary school , Clermiston Primary School on Parkgrove Place is a feeder school for The Royal High School
Vehicular access to Clermiston used to be possible at the Queensferry Road (A90) at Clermiston Drive junction, however this road was closed off and this lower part of Clermiston is now accessible from Queensferry Road at Parkgrove Place.