The station, which was opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1890, is named after the nearby residence of the Cator Family, demolished in 1896. The station name can be spelt either Clock House or Clockhouse. For example, the previous station signage used the latter (historically inaccurate) form, whilst the published timetables use the former version. The new Southeastern re-branded station signage and livery has since corrected this inaccuracy.
The typical off peak service is:
2tph (trains per hour) northbound, calling at all stations to Cannon Street
The station is a short walk from the Beckenham Road stop on the Tramlinklight rail system, which is situated at a higher level on the opposite side of Beckenham Road. Bus stops on roads adjacent to the station provide interchange with the following bus services (as of January 2008):