<!-- Image with unknown copyright status removed: -->
The coat of arms of St. John’s
, was granted on 1 March 1965.
Saint John the Baptist
is symbolized on the shield by the lamb of God, carrying a banner bearing St George's Cross
and scalloped shells. The ship, sailing on waves at the top of the shield, refers to the city’s early discoverers and explorers. The shield is supported on the left by a mariner of the fifteenth century bearing the year 1497, the year the city was discovered by John Cabot
. The supporter on the right is a mariner of the late sixteenth century, bearing the date 1583, the year Sir Humphrey Gilbert
claimed the region as England's first colony. The stone wall of the crest stands for civic authority, while the lion and roses refer to the city’s British heritage. Avancez
(French for “advance”), the city’s motto, can be seen at the base.