The building was originally constructed as a movie theater called the Player's State Theater. It first opened on January 3, 1927 as a part of the Paramount chain. The movie house was designed by the architect Richard Kiehnel of Kiehnel and Elliott. It is listed on the U.S.National Register of Historic Places. It was built by local realtors Irving J. Thomas and Fin L. Pierce. Albert Peacock was the contractor. It was renowned as the second movie theatre on the east coast of Florida to be air conditioned and having the largest Wurlitzer organ in the United States.