The College of Engineering, Guindy
() (CEG) in Chennai
, is India's oldest engineering and technical institution, having been established in 1794. Today it is one of the four constituent colleges of Anna University
and one of the most prestigious and highly selective engineering schools in the country along with the Indian Institutes of Technology
It was started in May 1794 as a School of Survey and established as a college in 1859 under the Madras University
, and is one of the oldest technical institutes in the world. The institution introduced B.E. Degree Courses in Mechanical Engineering in 1894, Electrical Engineering in 1930, Telecommunication and Highway Engineering in 1945, Printing Technology in 1983 and Geoinformatics in 1992. It was the first institution in South India to establish a Computer Centre - in 1963.
The students are popularly called CEGians. It was ranked eighth by India Today
magazine in 2008 among engineering colleges in India. It was ranked tenth by Outlook India
magazine for 2007 in the top 50 engineering colleges in India.
It has link-ups with institutions and organizations like USAID, UNCHS, Ford Foundation, European Economic Community and the Governments of Germany and UK. It was the first college in the country to have its own postage stamp when the Indian Postal Service brought out a postage stamp to mark the 200th anniversary of the institution.
Born as a survey school in May 1794, the College of Engineering is one of the most... Read More