The College of New Rochelle
) is a private Catholic
college with its main campus located in New Rochelle, New York
. The College of St. Angela was founded by the Order of the Ursulines
as the first Catholic women's college
in New York state in 1904, a time when women were generally excluded from higher education. The name was changed to the College of New Rochelle in 1910. Building on its original commitment to women, the college reaches out to those who have not previously had access to higher education. It places particular emphasis on the concept of lifelong learning. Three of the four schools are now co-ed.
Following the university model, the College of New Rochelle is composed of four separate schools:
- School of Arts & Sciences (for women)
- School of New Resources (for adult learners)
Its oldest school, the School of Arts & Sciences was established in 1904 as a women's college
and still enrolls only women students. It offers courses in the liberal arts
, pre-medicine, pre-law, communication arts and business. Both men and women may enroll in the School of Nursing, the School of New Resources (for adult learners) and the Graduate School.
The College of New Rochelle is chartered by the Regents
of the State of New York
and is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary......