College of Western Idaho
(CWI) is an American public community college
located in Nampa
. It serves the Boise metropolitan area
CWI began regular classes on January 20, 2009, with an enrollment of over 1100 students. CWI's Nampa campus is the former West Campus of Boise State University
. Currently, CWI is the second largest community college in Idaho with enrollment estimated at over 7100 students.
For some time before CWI was established, Boise
was one of the largest metropolitan statistical areas
in the United States
without a community college
. CWI was created on May 22, 2007, when voters of Canyon
Counties passed a measure to allow the formation of the new community college
district. In June 2007, the Albertson Foundation announced it was making a $10 million donation to help start the college.
In July 2007, the Idaho State Board of Education selected an initial five-member board of trustees. The following month Boise State University faculty member Dennis Griffin
was named to a two-year term as the college's first president. Griffin retired in August 2009, and was succeeded by Bert......