Prior to the 2006 election, College Ward was known as Baseline Ward, and didn't include Bells Corners. It was incorporated into the city with amalgamation in 2001 (elections were held in 2000). Previously, the ward existed on the earlier Ottawa-Carleton Regional Council. The ward is represented on city council by Rick Chiarelli. The ward has an estimated population of 55,000 (2006) and an area of 46.2 km<sup>2</sup>. The ward is named for Algonquin College.
Prior to amalgamation, the area now covered by College Ward in Ottawa's west end was in Carleton Ward. It was created in 1950, Ottawa west was annexed from Nepean Township. The ward eventually got smaller and smaller, and by 1972 it only consisted of the area south of the Queensway and west of Clyde Avenue.