is a village and civil parish
on the North Devon
coast about east of Ilfracombe
. It is a small seaside resort
with a sheltered cove
on the edge of the Exmoor National Park
. Due to the narrowness of the valley, the village consists principally of one single long street which runs between the valley head and the sea.
" is derived from Old English cumb
meaning "wooded valley". The name was recorded as Comer
in 1128. The 'Martin' affix on the place name is from the name of the FitzMartin
who held the manor
from about 1100 to 1326.
There are several disused Silver mines
on the eastern ridge and evidence of tunnels can still be seen, as well as the remains of a wheelhouse used to lift ore from the mine. There are items in the Crown Jewels
made from Combe Martin silver.
The unusual dedication of the Church of England parish church
to St. Peter ad Vincula
("St. Peter in Chains"
) is derived from the ancient Basilica
of San Pietro in Vincoli
One of the village's unusual features is the Pack o' Cards public house
built around 1700 by George Ley. Reputed to have been funded by his gambling successes, it originally had 52 windows, 13 rooms and four floors (matching the numbers from a pack of cards
It is believed that the street is the longest village street in England, but this is actually a myth. It was recently measured at around a mile and a half long. The myth has several possible... Read More