Congregation Beth Israel
is a synagogue
located in West Hartford, Connecticut
. The is one of the two the oldest Jewish congregations in Connecticut
, it is one of the largest Reform Jewish
congregations in New England, with about 900 member families and about 2,000 individual members.
As Temple Beth Israel
, its 1933 building was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Beth Israel serves as a center for worship, education, and social programs.
Congregation Beth Israel is located at 701 Farmington Ave in West Hartford, Connecticut
The congregation occupies a large building dominated by an enormous Byzantine
dome. Inside are a sanctuary (upon which the dome is built), a chapel, a religious school, a pre-school, offices, two meeting halls, a small museum, and a library. Beautiful stained glass windows are present in both the sanctuary and the chapel. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. government.
The congregation worships in a notable 1936 building by architect Charles R. Greco
. Built at the height of the Art Deco
period, the Byzantine revival
form in Art Deco style presents a majectic appearance. In 2006 congregation was given the West Hartford Historic Preservation Award in 2006 for its meticulous restoration of the historic structure.
Founding and Affiliation
Beth Israel, which means "House of Israel
" in Hebrew
, was founded in 1843, the year... Read More