is a southern suburb
, located approximately four kilometres from the city. Surrounding suburbs include Camp Hill
, Holland Park
, East Brisbane
, Norman Park
and Seven Hills
The Coorparoo Clan lived south of the Brisbane River
and generally camped along creeks. Their name comes from Kulpurum
, which was the word for Norman Creek
or a tributary of it. They continued to occupy watercourse campsites after white settlement, but other clans from the region began to move into South Brisbane.
In 1846 there were reports of Aborigines raiding produce along Norman Creek. In 1853, there was a fight between Ningy Ningy, Bribie Island, Amity Point, and Logan tribes at Norman Creek. A visitor in 1855 reported many camps and fishing spots between Stones Corner and the mouth of Norman Creek. In 1959 an eighty-year-old woman told of frequent corroborees
on the banks of the creek in Norman Park. Corroborees were also held at a little creek that crossed Norfolk Street.
Coorparoo was named by the residents at a public meeting on 22 March 1875. The name Coorparoo comes from the Aboriginal name for Norman Creek. This had been translated as both place of the mosquito
and peaceful dove
. The Shire of Coorparoo was formally proclaimed in 1888.
On 17 June 1856, ten farms were sold from the Parish
of Bulimba near Stones Corner. Investors bought all but two of them. The next year James Warner surveyed land on... Read More