The 2nd Engineer Regiment is housed in Linton Military Camp that is situated approximately 10 km South of the City of Palmerston North. Raised on the 1st of July 1993 the Regiment is the only major military engineer Unit in the New Zealand Army. Linton Camp has been known throughout the Army as the traditional home of the Engineers. The School of Military Engineering first moved to Linton Camp in June 1953 but now comes under the Control of Army Schools in Waiouru.
The role of the engineers is to assist in maintaining the mobility of our Own Forces, deny freedom of movement to the enemy, and provide general engineering support. 2nd Engineer Regiment is to generate and sustain Engineer Troop and Squadron level command and control competent in combined arms operations in order to meet directed outputs.
2 Engineer Regiment
2 Field Squadron
25 Engineer Support Squadron
Emergency Response Squadron
1 Field Squadron, made up from three reserve units from all over New Zealand including, 2nd Battalion (2Cants), 3rd Battalion (3ANR), and 5th Battalion (5WWCT). However these units engineer units are also officailly come under the command of there parent reserve battalion as well.