is a large housing estate in the borough of Middlesbrough
and the ceremonial county
of North Yorkshire
, with a resident population of 10,700.
As was the case of so much of the locality, the site of Coulby Newham began as farmland, as is reflected in the naming of some of the streets; Lingfield, Manor Farm Way and Paddock Wood, to name but a few. 'Colebi' and 'Nieweham', separate medieval hamlets when identified in the Domesday Book
of 1086, formerly covered this site. The agricultural legacy of the area, reminiscent indeed of that of the entire wider Middlesbrough
area, is still touched on today by the working Newham Grange Leisure farm
, itself harking as far back to life in this particular spot of rural North Yorkshire
as the 17th century.
Only as the 1970s dawned, in the shadow of the rest of modern Middlesbrough's continual southerly urban expansion, did this change. Coulby Newham developed after the building of the A174 Parkway (after which the suburb's shopping Mall
, the Parkway Shopping Centre, opened in 1986, was subsequently named).
The first major building in Coulby Newham was Coulby Newham Secondary School
(replaced in 2003 by The King's Academy
). Coulby Newham Secondary opened with Year 7-10 in the late 1970s, receiving many students that had been excluded from Acklam
schools Hustler and Boynton. The school began with many young teachers and in its formative years was a successful school which was at the centre of the... Read More