The County Ground
is a stadium located near the town centre of Swindon
. It is home to Swindon Town Football Club
and has been for over a century.
The current capacity is 15,728, all-seated. It has been at this level since the mid 1990s.
A record attendance of 32,000 was set on 15 January, 1972, against Arsenal
in the 3rd round of the FA Cup
To the north of the football stadium is Swindon Cricket Club. Their pitch is also named The County Ground
Swindon Town have been playing at the County Ground since 1896.
They played their games on the site of the adjacent cricket pitch also called the County Ground from 1893 until the ground opened.
Thomas Arkell of Arkell's Brewery
donated £300 to finance the construction of a stand on what was then known as the 'Wiltshire County Ground', this investment was enough to begin development of a purpose built football ground. Since its original construction, the ground has been periodically updated with new features or fittings. A cover on the Shrivenham Road side was erected in 1932, followed by the current roof at the Town End. This cost £4,300, which was raised by the Supporters Club, and was opened on 27 August 1938 by local MP
, W.W. Wakefield
The War Department took over the ground in 1940, where for a while POWs were housed in huts... Read More