The Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta
(abbreviated in citations
or Alta. Q.B.
) is the superior court
of the Canadian province
.The original Building has since been demolished and the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta in Calgary has been relocated to the Calgary Courts Centre
The Court originates from the old Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories
. Two years after Alberta became a province in 1905, the Court was reorganized as the Supreme Court of Alberta and several lower District Courts possessing a more limited jurisdiction. In 1921, the Supreme Court was reorganized to have an independent trial division (Supreme Court of Alberta Trial Division), and an independent appellate division (Supreme Court of Alberta Appellate Division), the precursor to the Court of Appeal of Alberta
. It was not until June 30, 1979 that the Supreme Court Trial Division received its current name as the "Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta".
The District Courts created in 1907 were amalgamated into the District Court of Northern Alberta and the District Court of Southern Alberta in 1935, merging altogether into the District Court of Alberta in 1975. In 1979, it merged for the last time, this time back with the Supreme Court, into the Court of Queen's Bench.
The Court consists of a Chief Justice
of the Court, an Associate Chief Justice, and several judges including those judges who have elected supernumerary
status after many years of service and... Read More