The Crosley Broadcasting Corporation
was a radio and television broadcaster founded by radio manufacturing pioneer Powel Crosley, Jr.
. The company was an early operator of radio stations in the United States
. Based in Cincinnati, Ohio
, Crosley's flagship station was WLW
(AM). Most of its broadcast properties adopted callsigns in which the first three letters were "WLW", which stood for " World's Largest Warehouse". By the 1950s, the company would operate a small television network
in the eastern Midwest.
During World War II
, Crosley built the Bethany Relay Station
in Butler County, Ohio
's Union Township
, one mile west of its transmitter for WLW
, for the Office of War Information
. It operated as many as five shortwave stations, using the callsigns WLWK, WLWL, WLWO, WLWR and WLWS. It operated the facility for the government until 1963.
In 1945, the Crosley interests were purchased by Aviation Corporation
. The radio and appliance manufacturing arm changed its name to Avco
, but the broadcast operations continued to operate under the Crosley name until they adopted the Avco name in 1968.
Crosley (Avco) also owned WLWF, an FM station it operated along with its WLWC (now WCMH-TV
). In 1959, the station was sold to Taft Broadcasting, owner of WTVN-TV also in Columbus (now WSYX-TV
. The transaction was the first in Ohio broadcasting history where a broadcast owner sold one of its stations to a competitor in the same city. The FM station is now... Read More