Founded in 1887 as Crossmaglen Red Hands, the club did not acquire its present name until 1909. The Red Hands won their first Armagh Senior Football Championship in 1906. After political controversy, the Red Hands split, and a new club called Creggan Rovers emerged, and won the 1908 championship. The modern Crossmaglen Rangers club started only in 1909. Rangers soon made their presence felt, however, winning the championship in 1911, 1912 and 1913.