Crystal Palace (High Level) railway station
was a station in the London Borough of Southwark
in south London
. It was one of two stations built to serve the site of the 1851 exhibition
building, the so-called Crystal Palace
, when it was moved from Hyde Park
Hill after 1851.
The Crystal Palace and South London Junction Railway
was promoted by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway
(LCDR); by 1860 the LCDR had a line running to Beckenham Junction
via Loughborough Junction
, some three miles to the north-west of the Crystal Palace site. In order to capture traffic from the LBSCR, the LCDR constructed a branch line from the latter station, with a junction at Nunhead
to run directly to the Crystal Palace site. The line opened on 1 August 1865. The line was one of the first of the former South Eastern and Chatham Railway
to be electrified
by Southern Railway
, under "South Eastern Electrification – Stage 1" in July 1925.
Traffic on the high level branch never recovered after the 1936 Palace fire, and the station finally closed on 20 September 1954, when services ceased on the branch, although it was not demolished until 1961.
The station was designed by Edward Middleton Barry
as a lavish red brick and buff terra cotta
building. The station was excavated into the ridge below Crystal Palace Parade requiring major engineering works. Although the site of the station was developed for housing in the 1970s, the retaining walls below... Read More