The Crystal Palace and South London Junction Railway
was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway
from Nunhead to Crystal Palace High Level
to serve the Crystal Palace
after the biulding was moved to the area that became known as Crystal Palace
from its original site in Hyde Park
The branch line had a chequered history, linked to the Crystal Palace's own precarious financial position, with two periods of closure. Wartime economies led to the line closing from 1917 to 1919. After this first closure, trains from the Holborn Viaduct railway station
) in the City were not reinstated. However, the branch was electrified
, as part of a Southern Railway
scheme, on 12 July 1925. After electrification all trains operated to Blackfriars
and Holborn Viaduct
Following the destruction of the Crystal Palace by fire in 1936, the line lost most of its original function of carrying visitors to events in the Palace. Manpower shortages led to a second closure from 1944 to 1946.When services were reintroduced they were very lightly used, and the line finally closed on 20 September 1954. The track was lifted in 1956.
Lordship Lane station has found ongoing fame as the subject of one of Camille Pissarro
's finest small-scale pictures.
Although much of the route of the railway has now been lost to residential development, it can be traced in places. Architectural features remain such as the ornamental portal of the Paxton Tunnel just north of the terminus. Part of the route... Read More