The Curtis Paper Mill
(also known as the Nonantum Mill) was a factory located near White Clay Creek
in Newark, Delaware
. Although a mill had existed on the site since the late eighteenth century, the final structure was built in 1870. The Curtis brothers bought the plant in 1848. Although the plant is usually referred to in Newark as the Curtis Paper Mill, the actual name is Nonantum Mill, referring to an Indian name for the area of Newton, Massachusetts
, the Curtises' hometown.
The plant had the distinction of manufacturing the paper on which several of the peace treaties ending World War II
The James River Corporation eventually purchased the plant, but closed it in 1997 as they consolidated their operations. It sat empty for several years and was eventually fenced off to prevent trespassing.
The main entrance to the plant and much of the front office were removed in 2002. In October 2007 demolition work began on the remainder of the factory and was completed by December. The only structure left is the four-sided red brick smokestack
with the "Curtis" name. The mill and adjacent land south to the creek are designated as a municipal park. The millrace path includes state park land and passes through the City of Newark's Coverdale Park. Small numbers of people hike along the millrace path or fish in the settling ponds.
Despite the closure of the facility, elements of the plant are still in use. The plant's settling ponds-originally used for cleaning... Read More