is a village
and a district of the community of Treorchy
, in the Rhondda Valley
Early legends tell of a medieval
park, or hunting preserve, in the area called Parc Cwm Brychiniog, which was subsequently made into four farms in Tudor
times, one of which was called Parc Uchaf and another Parc Isaf. Thus the area became known as Cwmparc and its stream Nant Cwmparc (Cwm being the Welsh for valley). With the development of the coal mining
village in this part of the South Wales Valleys
in the 19th century, the village also became known as Cwmparc.
Details of the early history and development of Cwmparc are contained within the booklet, ‘History of Cwmparc. King Coal Invades a Sylvan Valley’ by Mr Gwyn Prosser which was awarded the prize at Treorchy
in 1923. The author describes Cwmparc in 1923 as ‘a mining village of considerable pretensions, aspiring almost to the more dignified name of township’ with a population of about five thousand. He describes the Parc and, further down the valley, the Dare colliery, and the constant processions of -laden trucks running down the railway that flanked the Parc River.
The pioneer of Cwmparc’s development was David Davies
described as, ‘foremost of Welsh industrial kings and founder of the renowned Ocean Coal Company’, who had in 1862 negotiated with Crawshay Bailey
to commence coal mining on the Tremains Estate. Sinking operations were begun in... Read More