The hospital is run by the Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust with an annual budget of about £121 million, and employs 1,900 staff.
The hospital stands on the site of the former Darenth Park Hospital, originally founded by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as "Darenth School" in 1878. The Regional Health Board agreed to close Darenth in 1973, but the last patients did not leave until 1988. The vast Victorian complex was then demolished.
The new buildings were the first hospital to be procured under a Private Finance Initiative Contract.. They were designed by Nightingale Paulley Associates and built by Carillion. The new hospital opened in September 2000, to replace the services previously provided at West Hill Hospital, Dartford and Joyce Green Hospital, Dartford.On 2 January 2007, a new on-site Heart Centre was opened.